A. Doula’s typically arrive at your birthing place with a Mary Poppin’s type bag of goodies to help ease you through labor. While every Doula is different, the following are fairly standard items:
- Birth ball (large exercise ball) for you to use during labor. Sitting and rocking on the ball helps open the pelvis and ease discomfort.
- Hot and/or cold packs. These are great for back labor and other aches and pains.
- Massage tools that can be used on your back, neck or feet.
- Soothing CD’s with relaxation or meditation guided imagery.
- Essential oils for aromatherapy like lavender and jasmine to help reduce anxiety.
The most important thing a Doula brings to your birth is her calm and reassuring presence along with the power of her touch to help you in your labor, delivery and postpartum period.